Loading Events

← Back to Events

Chief Theater

+ Google Map
A little History Located in downtown Steamboat Springs, Colorado, the historic Chief Theater was once a single-venue theater offering live performances and events from the late 1920's through the late 1950's. Built in 1926, the building has been remodeled four times, reflecting four distinct periods of architecture. The Chief was the first theater in Northwest Colorado to show “talkies.” The bidet in the ladies’ room was the first in a public space in Northwest Colorado. The building was named for its original owner, “Chief” Harry Gordon, a prominent Steamboat Springs resident and member of the Miami Indian Tribe. Despite his nickname, Gordon was not a tribal leader. Michael Barry, purchased the building in 1970. As originally designed, the building featured an Indian motif. Drastically remodeled in the 1980s, the space was divided into a four-plex movie theater with 2 retail spaces. The Chief was first placed under contract by the Friends of the Chief Foundation in Fall 2011. The Chief Opened as a cultural and performing arts center in the summer of 2013. http://www.chieftheater.com
Steamboat Springs, CO 80487 United States
www.chieftheater.com/
  • There were no results found.