The building we now know as Sellersville Theater has a rich and colorful history that is directly linked to its neighbor, The Washington House. Over 200 years ago The Washington House began as a small farmhouse built on an ancient Lenni Lenape trail. Owned by Mr. Jan Jenson, it sat on land deeded from William Penn to Mr. Thomas Freame, who transferred 102 acres to Jenson in 1735. The property was later purchased by Samuel Sellers who enlarged the building and made it into a tavern. Henceforth, both the hotel and the town were known as Sellers Tavern. The site became a town center, serving as the first Post Office, hotel and stagecoach stop for the long journey between Bethlehem and Philadelphia.